Easy Ways to Declutter Before You Move
Everyone knows that one of the cardinal rules of moving is to downsize and declutter before your move. The less have, the less you have to pack and move! The major part of that is figuring out how to go about decluttering before you move. You Move Me Beaverton has some great tips for you to check out before starting your decluttering journey.
Not Sure where to start? Here are some common items that likely need to be gone through:
- Go through your clothes – Doesn’t fit? Don’t wear it? Don’t keep it!
- Paperwork that is more than seven years old – Unless you need it for legal or accounting purposes, shred any paperwork that has personal information on it and recycle the rest.
- Check out your medicine cabinet – Ditch any expired medications you have, or anything you know you will never use.
- Clean out the pantry – Donate any food you know you will never eat, and throw out anything that is expired.
- Get rid of any books or magazines you have already read and know you won’t read again.
Still having a hard time parting with your thinks? Ask yourself these questions:
- Do I use this? If the answer is no, it is time to let it go.
- Do I have something similar to this that serves the same purpose? If yes, then get rid of one of them.
- Am I keeping this out of obligation or expectation? Keep in mind, although you never want to hurt someone’s feelings, it is your home and it maybe time to let it go.
- Am I keeping this for sentimental value? Be strict, keep a small box of memorabilia and take pictures of the rest of the items so you can remember them.
- Once you have done all of that, it is probably time to get rid of all of the items you have compiled.
- Hold a sale – Have a yard sale to try to get some money for your unwanted items.
- Drop things off at a donation center!
Congrats! You’ve now packed up all your essentials. Now time for the move. If the thought of moving all that stuff makes you sick, contact our Beaverton movers today!