Earlier this week we shared our guide: how to load a moving truck. We would be remiss not to follow up with a guide for unpacking that truck. Yes, there is a method which should contribute to your stress-free move! Lucky for you, it’s easier to unpack than pack the truck and you’re almost done!
The Steps for Unloading a Moving Truck:
- Walk-through your new home, mentally planning where you will put your large items of furniture
- Assess doorways to ensure there is enough room to move in larger pieces of furniture
- Keeping safety top of mind, make sure pathways between the truck and the house, as well as inside the house, are clear of debris and obstructions. Lay down non-skid runners.
- Remove doors where necessary
- Take Wardrobe boxes off first and put family members to work in their own rooms putting their clothes away!
- Transport furniture to applicable room and remove plastic wrapping
- Remove boxes and place in labelled rooms
- Store away equipment such as blanket pads and straps and discard all wrapping
- Reassemble furniture once the truck is unloaded
- Unpack in each room as priority dictates; might I suggest kitchen, bathroom and overnight necessities first?