These days, everyone is obsessed with convenience. We all want to get things done with as little effort as possible. The good news? There are many modern-day conveniences that make it easy for us to live more efficient lives. Even better, they can be easily implemented into our homes!
What is a Smart Home?
A home where tech-savvy methods are used to make things work is known as a smart home. If you are moving into a new home, whether as an owner or renter, there are many things that you can do to ensure you have a smart move.
Sure, streaming your favorite Netflix show on your tablet may be a good start, but you can do so much! Read on for great tips on how to “smarten-up” your home!
- Think about the lights in your hotel room every time you go on a vacation. They automatically turn on when you enter and turn off when you leave! Think about replicating this at home to conserve power use.
- Crave a lush lawn? Install a device that will notify you when the plants need to be watered, instead of just watering everyday!
- Tired of getting up to change the temperature in your home? You can now install systems that allow the settings to be changed via the internet.
- Love your playlists? Install wireless speakers in every room and listen to music in whichever room you choose.
- Security is important for everyone. But how do you make security smart? Install wireless cameras! This way you can see what is happening, whenever you want and from wherever you are.
- Window and door sensors can inform you if they’ve been shut properly or not. Smart locks can be set up to allow certain people access to your space and inform you who accessed your home and when.
These are just some ideas you can work with before moving in. Of course, they would be nothing without the right technology!
Smart Home Technology for You
Here are a few examples of technology you need for a smart home:
- Smart Thermostats: These amazing gadgets make your life easier in a number of ways, while saving energy and cutting down your utility bills. You can set the temperature via the internet, through an app on your smartphone or let the thermostat work on its own.
- Some thermostats can even look up weather forecasts and adjust the temperature accordingly Ecobee3 is considered one of the best options, with a sensor that adjusts room temperature to optimal conditions.
- Smart Air Conditioning: Just like thermostats, a smart air conditioning system also ensures that your home is being cooled at an optimum level. It lets you maintain a comfortable temperature indoors without overusing electricity. It will also make sure that one room isn’t freezing while another is like an oven!
- Smart Garage Door Opener: This device can make your life a whole lot easier, especially if you usually return home late at night. With this device, you can easily open the door with a slight tap on the screen!
- Smart Smoke/Carbon Monoxide Detector: All houses come with a smoke alarm system, but how do you make it more efficient? Insert a smart smoke detector in the already installed alarm system. This way, if the alarm goes off, you are notified on your smart phone, and can even switch it off or silence it from a remote location.
Moving into a new home is in itself a tiring job, and the task of installing smart technology is an added inconvenience if you wait till after you’ve moved in. Make sure that by the time you’ve made the move, your new abode is already smart and has all the conveniences you desire!
Dan McKee heads up the marketing efforts and provides digital marketing strategies to the marketing team at Service Champions in California.